Monday, August 22, 2011

"I Love Lubar's One-Liners" Mrs. G. said straightly.

Upon concluding David Lubar's Sleeping Freshman Never Lie, I find myself so touched by the themes of friendship, maturation, and change that the author has addressed. At first, I found the main character Scott to be a regular teenager, cloaked in sarcasm to protect himself from the the harshness of high school and  the world in general.  As I read, I realized how the narrator's language sounded much like some adults I've met.  As people progress from childhood through adolescence to adulthood, I am reminded of the coping devices we all acquire to get us through the process.

I also appreciated how the author unveiled the faulty inferences that Scott had made about people he hardly knew.  As Scott befriended Wesley, Lee, and Mouth, he learned more about the type of person he wanted to be. Sometimes that's how we know ourselves best...in relation to others.

On page 92, Scott judges that "flux sux" in his advice to his unborn sibling. But by the end of the book, he admits that "flux rox."  A shift in attitude makes all the difference in how change is experienced.  Not to say that change doesn't sometimes bring disappointment, but Lubar wants to remind us how change gives us the opportunity to grow.

That said, I can't wait for a new school year to start.  I know that most of the world celebrates New Year's on January 1, but my year has always turned over in September. Looking forward to seeing everyone soon!

Mrs. Grannemann

1 comment:

  1. "I just finished this book," Mrs. Kleinknecht said already. (haha...These swifties aren't that easy to invent!)

    ReplyDelete