Sunday, July 17, 2011

My Connections to Sleeping Freshman Never Lie

I have three young kids aged six, four, and ten months.  And since I cannot remember what if feels like to be that young, I always wonder what the two older ones were thinking while they were waiting for their younger siblings to arrive. 

Scott Hudson, newly a ninth-grader and the main character in David Lubar's Sleeping Freshman Never Lie, gave me some insight into what goes on in the mind of a child waiting to meet their next sibling.  Only, Scott provides this valuable information through the eyes of a much older child.  Upon finding out that his mother is expecting, and upon going through the trials of being a freshman, Scott does what any self-respecting big brother would do: he creates a survival guide for his younger sibling through his journal entries. 

Now, my oldest reads and writes, of course, but he wasn't ready for this type of undertaking when he was waiting for his sister and brother to be born.  However, I do think it might be a great summer project.  We could even create the guide through short video diary entries like they do in "Good Luck, Charlie!"

That's an idea I'd love to see move forward in my house this summer!  I'll be sure to keep you posted on the progress. 

What about all of you--is there something you feel like you could create a "survival guide" for? 

No comments:

Post a Comment