Monday, July 25, 2011

Among the Hidden

I just finished reading Among the Hidden while on vacation here in Omaha, visiting family and friends.  Mrs. Fusaro's post addressed many of the major ideas that the book raises, so I will attempt another entry point for discussion.

This book made me think about families and farming.  I was especially interested in the relationships between Luke and his mother and father. I thought it was difficult to watch the Garner family trying to survive after the government had made so many restrictions on how they could make a living. This was a stress on the family, especially when Luke's mother had to start another job.  In addition, Luke's father is constantly obsessing about the farm, and neither parent has much time left for Luke.  I couldn't even believe that Luke was no longer allowed to sit at the table for meals!  I know that Luke's brothers, Matthew and Mark, will probably continue in their father's footsteps as farmers, but what can Luke do for a living when he gets older if he remains hidden? I realize that he's only twelve, but he has to have dreams to nurture!

I always laugh when I tell someone in New Jersey that I'm from Nebraska and they ask if I grew up on a farm. The first and last farmers in my family were my great-grandparents. Modern farms out here are big business; corn and soy as far as the eye can see. Obviously, as I blog here from Nebraska during the heat wave, the news includes reports about the crops. If corn prices go up, it means higher food prices for everyone.  This reminds me of the futuristic world of Among the Hidden.  Isn't it wonderful that good literature can connect to you wherever you are?

Among the Hidden is one of the best books I've read in a long time! It was a real page turner.  I plan to read the entire series. Until next time,
Mrs. Grannemann

No comments:

Post a Comment